The trending coronavirus pandemic is not only affecting us health-wise but also economic wise. This deadly virus has affected businesses as well as schools. You know what that means, do you? In short, closure of businesses have left millions of people jobless and struggling to earn a living.
Closure of schools, on the other hand, has left many teens idle and yearning to find a solution to their idleness. This has pushed several minors to start hunting for jobs. If you are minor hunting for a job or a parent whose child moves up and down hunting for one, then you are on the right page. We are here to educate you more in that regard.
First, you should know that you have a solution to your problem already. This is because there are several companies or business premises that have remained open regardless of the pandemic. These companies understand the situation well, hence providing plenty of job opportunities to teenagers that are in need of jobs. Some of these businesses include grocery stores, restaurants, and other retailer’s shops.
What kind of job can 14 or 15-year-old child tackle? Are they not too young to work? Isn’t it against health regulations and standards to let such kids’ work? These are some of the questions that people ask. The truth is; some states, through the labor department, permit these kids to work for various reasons. Let’s understand why;
Reasons 14 or 15 Years are Allowed to Work in Some States
Research shows that the old are more vulnerable to corona that the young. For that reason, the US government has seen it necessary to allow teenagers to work. However, it’s required that you must be 14 years or above.
- I understand that even before this corona pandemic, the USA department of labor allowed above 14 years to work probably as a way of helping them gain independence and working experience at their young age.
- Working this early also helps you to save something for your college studies, hence reducing college fee bulk for your parents.
- Working young also helps the party to understand the value of money, hence develop a sense of responsibility at a young age.
- It also helps the individual to learn more about customer value, saving, budgeting, and spending your hard-earned money.
- Generally, working early prepares you for successful employment in the future.
As mentioned above, you are already aware that there are several companies or employees with jobs that hire at 14. However, they don’t hire carelessly. I mean, there are set guidelines for jobs that hire at 15 or 14. Let’s understand these laws;
Labor Laws or Guidelines Set For 14- and 15-Year-Olds
Since there are several jobs that a 14 or 15-year-old can do, the USA government has set a number of rules to protect these kids from arrogant employers. This is because, in 2013, statistics record that over 300 young employees were subjected to harsh employment that leads to death. These rules were set for both employers and young employees. It’s prudent to understand ALL the rules so that you don’t break your state laws. These laws or acts are;
FLSA Standing for fair labor standard act, states that young workers of 14 to 15 years should not work for more than 3 hours a day during school days. Perhaps it’s a non-school day? They should not work for more than 8 hours a day or more than 18 hours a week.
The law also states that these kids should not work any time before 7 AM in the morning or after 7 PM.
The law also requires 14 or 15-year-old workers to obtain work permits before seeking employment in some states. This means that not all states issue work permits for young workers. For instance; Idaho, Arizona, Tennessee, and Montana states among others do not issue these certificates.
The law also states that 14 or 15 years old workers should have a general federal income of 7.25 $ averagely per hour. However, this depends on the type of job delegated. Let’s know more about income.
How Much Should 14 or 15 Years Get Paid Average ?
The average minimum wage for 14 years old worker is 7.25 4 per hour as stated above. However, this value varies per state. I mean, some states have a minimum wage for young workers. States like Wyoming and Georgia have a minimum of 5.15 $ per hour, which is obviously lower than the FLSA minimum wage.
Note that FLSA also allows these workers to work at a minimum wage of 4.25 $ per hour for the first three months
Other Restrictions For Young Workers Between 14 to 15-Year-Olds
Children are less energetic and vulnerable hence, Americans child labor law restricts 14 or 15 years old from working in hazardous setups that might risk their lives. These young workers are completely restricted near any explosives, excavations, mining activities, power supported tools, radioactive materials, or dangerous ladders. They are also prohibited to work for the following services;
- Any warehouse.
- Any public utility.
- Roofing or warehousing activities.
- Any hard loading or unloading of goods.
- Any baking or cooking activities among others.
However, they can do the following;
Job Area That a 14 or 15-Year-Old Can Freely Do
Below is a list of job area that are suitable for 14 or 15 years old teenagers;
- Baby-sitting job – This is important as it develops an early sense of parenthood. This means at 14, you start learning the required skills to take care of a child. These jobs are easily available from family friends, neighbors, or families. You can also ask your parents to ask you for a position from colleagues or other known reliable employers.
- Car washing job – This is considered easy and less dangerous. It entails internal or external cleaning or vacuuming of a car. This job is as easy and harmless as house cleaning jobs.
- Dog walking jobs – Dogs are friendly animals to hang around. They are also playful and fun to be with. This makes the job suitable for young workers. If you know any house owner with a dog, you can ask to offer them dog walking or maintaining services especially when they are away from home.
- Grocery store working – This entails selling or cleaning in a grocery store. The job is considered suitable and friendly to young workers.
- Lawn mowing – This entails cleaning and maintaining back/ front yards. This job is easy to access from busy house owners who love their yards neat and presentable. However, as an employer, you should not let your young worker handle powerful equipment while lawn mowing your yard.
- Task Runner – Task runner is another business venture you can engage in if you own a bicycle and live close to the locals. It entails doing minor errands and tasks for residents, at a fee. The chores may include; small shopping trips, post office or library trips, cleaning home tasks and message or gift delivery tasks
- Doggie Doo Scooper – If you have many dog owners in your neighborhood, you should consider cleaning doggie doo from the compound. The simple materials needed to do this job are poop scooper and plastic bags. Cleaning doggie doo is not a pleasant endeavor. A few of your neighbors who hate cleaning doggie doo consider paying someone to take that job off. Look for them and grab that opportunity.
- Youth league referee – This is one of the best jobs to consider as a teen working as it allows you to interact with fellow youths. If you love sports, then this task also turns your passion into a monetary opportunity. Responsibilities in this line of duty entail; refereeing a match, giving out results, noticing infractions, ensuring players adhere to rules, and awarding points among others.
- Mother’s helper – Many might confuse this babysitting job. They are different in that this entails doing motherly chores at home like washing dishes, laundry, and cooking. This is an appropriate job for 15 years old as they learn home responsibilities.
- Cashiers – This is where one is employed to correct cash or credits from clients in fast food joints or retail shops. The job is really important for teens as it enlightens how to handle money at a young age.
- Theater ushers – This entails working on theaters shops to attend on customers, organize them clean around. It is one of the best jobs for 14/ 15-year-old workers with an average income of 10.30$ every hour.
- Personal assistance jobs – This is simply being someone else’s right-hand man; running his errands or even filing paperwork. It is essential as you meet different people in your line of duty. You also acquire skills in managing your office later.
- Other jobs are;
- Pet sitting job.
- Restaurant waiter or waitress.
- Elementary school tutor.
- Harvest helper.
- Online jobs like web design, among other nonhazardous jobs.
To get a job at 14 or 15, you should follow the following procedure;
- Identify that certain job that hires at 14/ 15. This is through your parents, family, friends, or searching from online sites.
- Get a permit. This is the second procedure after identifying your job.
- Write an application. With the permit, you can now apply for that specific job and send it to the employer. Ensure to attach your work permit. You can opt to send the application online or submit it physically.
Best Places That Hire 14 and 15-year-olds
Skills are essential in the job market and working as a teenager will help you develop these necessary life skills. There are still many places that hire 14 or 15-year-olds despite many employers emphasizing experience.
Restaurants, amusement parks, grocery stores, water parks, entertainment venues, and survey companies are some businesses that hire younger people.
Restaurant Places That Hire at 14 or 15-Year-Old
Some restaurants undermine the power of children hence prefer adults for workers. We have done a thorough study and came up with the following restaurants that will hire 14 and 15-year-olds.
- Baskin Robbins : If you want the best flavors of ice cream, try Baskin Robbins. The franchise hires teens as young as 14 or 15 years old. It has 3000 branches in almost all states. With stores in almost all states, you may be able to find one near you.
- Ben and Jerry’s : Ben and Jerry’s is famous for the sale of Chunky Monkey. It has 4000+ branches in the United States. That only means that it offers wide employment opportunities to 14- and 15-year-olds.
- Dairy Queen : Dairy Queen offers jobs like a food preparer or cook, cleaner, or cashier to employees as young as 14 or 15 years old. It has over 4,000 locations in the U.S. under this restaurant; Job description and condition vary per each location.
- Culver’s : Culver’s restaurant has nearly 700 locations in about half of the U.S. states. Jobs in the restaurant vary by location. Culver’s are similar to Dairy Queen and offers employment to 14 or 15 -year-olds.
- Rita’s Italian Rice : This is another great eatery joint with over six thousand branches across the USA. It is well known to provide extremely yummy ice creams, Italian rice, and custards. More to that, it offers great opportunities for jobs that hire at 14 and 15 year teens.
- Pizza Hut : Recognized worldwide, this Pizza Hut provides jobs for 15 years as long as you have a work permit or go-ahead from your parents.
- Burger King : Burger King is a chain of restaurants specializing in hamburger fast food with branches all over the world. They mainly hire from 16 for most entry-level jobs. Applicants as young as 14 can also be considered by Burger King, depending on job availability and permit requirements.
- Boston Market : Boston Market has 450+ store locations in the United States. It provides employment to counter and kitchen crew from the age of 15. Meals served are rotisserie chicken and accompanying side dishes.
- Chick-Fil-A : Chick-Fil-A is a fast-food restaurant using chicken as the preferred sandwich choice. The restaurant has 2000+ branches in almost all 50 states. Chick-Fil-A offers less than 16 teens with a variety of entry-level positions.
- McDonald’s : This is another prominent restaurant globally, with 14000+ branches in the United States. McDonald’s hire to serve, clean, or cook in the restaurant provided that the restaurants are allowed to engage the 14 or 15-year-olds.
- KFC : This is another global food joint that mostly specializes in fried chickens. In the USA, it has over 4000 branches. All these branches provide jobs for 14 or 15 years old that meet FLSA children’s labor requirements. Visit one of these places and grab yourself a job!
Grocery Stores That Hire 14 and 15-year-olds
Below is another list of known grocery places in the USA, where hire 14 or 15 year old teens for job.
- Giant Eagle : Giant Eagle has over 400 locations in the United States, located in five U.S., namely West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Indiana. The branches employ 14 and 15-year-olds to serve as shopping cart attendants and bakery clerks.
- Giant Food : Giant food has 150 stores spread across the eastern part of the U.S. –Giant Food hire workers as young as 14 and 15 years old in many places. You can work as a bakery associate, stocker, bagger, clerk or cashier. Check with your local Giant Food store for more information.
- Kroger : It has 2700+ branches in the United States; Kroger also owns other stores such as Fry’s, Smith’s, and King Soopers. Some places branch may hire 14-15 year-olds as baggers or stockers where state laws allow. Confirm with the Kroger office in your area whether or not they hire at 14.
- Publix : Publix has over1100+ branches in 7 states: Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina Alabama, Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina; under 16-year-olds, are offered to work as, baggers, service desk clerks, and clerks.
- Winn Dixie : Winn Dixie has 500+ branches in Louisiana, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi. Most branches have positions for 15-year-olds. Confirm from the nearest Winn Dixie office in your area whether or not they’re hiring
Entertainment Venues That Will Hire 14- and 15-Year-Olds
Below is a list of entertainment places that hire 14 and 15-year-olds.
- AMC Theatres : Teenagers love watching movies, and therefore the prospect of working in a cinema theater will excite them the most. United States has more than 600 AMC Theatres. Most of these locations will hire workers as young. Contact your nearest AMC Theater for more information.
- Six Flags : North America has 25 Six Flags amusement parks and water parks. Six Flags allow people as young as 14 years old to work for them as game attendants, food service employees, host/hostess, lifeguards, or merchandisers.
It’s quite tricky and challenging to strike a balance between schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and work. It would be best if you created enough time for school work and enough sleep. However, balancing these three activities is vital because it will help you realize your goal of molding you into a mature and responsible person.
This comprehensive guide to places that hire at 15 will help dispel doubts of whether 14- and 15-year-olds like you can get employed.
Additional Resource : Prepaid Debit Cards for Teenagers